Barnsley, 1st ed., 2009. 272 pp., numerous photo-ills., + maps & plans. D.j., 24 x 17cm. FINE. The first 200 recruits for the Carmarthen Pals actually came from Bolton but later they were mainly from the County and wider Wales. Initial training took place at Rhyl. In April 1915, the Battalion became part of 114 Brigade, 38 (Welsh) Division and after completing training and equipping, it crossed to France in December 1915. From early 1916 until the Armistice the Carmarthenshire Battalion fought with distinction at Mametz Wood in the Somme, then at the Ypres Salient where it attacked Pilckem Ridge, followed by Armentieres district then the Albert Sector. In the closing months of the War this, one of the finest Pals battalions, suffered heavy losses as they pushed the Germans back capturing Ancre and crossing the Canal du Nord and Selle rivers.