Linthouse, Glasgow, Privately Printed, 1st.ed., 1950. 211 pp, frontis., + 33 other b&w photo-plates, + 18 cold. plates. Blue cloth ; gilt. 24 x 16cm. V.G. History of the first two hundred years of the Scottish shipbuilding firm of Alexander Stephen. The author traces the early years from 1750 to 1828 and the establishment of the yard on the banks of the Clyde in 1850. He describes the building of composite ships, whalers, clippers and square-riggers, and the bold move into steel. He recalls the more recent history when the firm built warships & aircraft during the last War ; the hardships of the 1920s and 30s ; the return to full employment with the coming of war in 1939 ; and finally the post-war era when the future of the industry looked bright. Photographs and coloured plates show examples of some of Stephen’s finest ships.