Andrew Reid & Co., Ltd., Printers, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1st ed., 1929. Viii + 188 pp., cold. guarded frontis., 3 other cold. plates, 32 b&w ills., a table (fldg.), 8 plans (all fldg., 6 cold., incl. one in rear pocket). Green cloth ; gilt with gilt armorial cover.25 x 18cm. Very light staining & slight shelf-wear to extremities of binding o/w V.G. An inter-war history of the Northumberland port of Blyth from the early history of the river, from whence it takes its name, and the salt trade of 1138 to 1635. It goes on to examine the coal trade of Blyth, 1590-1692, and its further development between 1745 and 1794 and its fortunes during the Napoleonic Wars, 1794-1813. It also examines shipbuilding activity and general trade between 1745 and 1794 ; the improvements of the main channel ; Sir M. W. Ridley’s enquiries ; the growth of shipbuilding ; and the formation of Blyth Harbour & Dock Company in 1853. The author continues with a description of harbour improvements and shipping facilities 1854-1862 ; the difficulties maintaining the channel 1866-1880 ; the growth of trade from 1882 ; further harbour developments 1884 -1913 ; and finally the new Harbour Board and early 20th century extensions from 1913 to 1928. The book is generously illustrated with 4 coloured plates, 32 black & white illustrations, 1 folding table, and 8 folding plans, chiefly coloured.