Doulton Lambeth, Burlsem, 1905. Impressed, signed & numbered to base. 15cm (6") tall. MINT. PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE ON REQUEST Between 1878 and 1882, Henry and James Doulton acquired a major interest in the Pinder Bourne factory in Nile Street, Burlsem, Stoke-on-Trent, and changed the name to Doulton & Company, Burlsem. From 1902 to 1922 the firm adopted this mark in order to commemorate the grant of the Royal Warrant by King Edward VII. Royal Doulton's roots go back to 1815 when John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts established their factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. They originally specialized in manufacturing stoneware, decorative bottles, and salt glaze sewer pipes. The firm took the name Doulton in 1853 and Royal Doulton after Edward VII gave his patronage. In 1905, Britain and her vast Empire commemorated the centenary of the victory at Trafalgar and the death of Lord Nelson. Souvenirs poured forth in every imaginable medium from paper and books to silver and jewellery ; from wood and copper to china and ceramics. This water jug has a portrait of Lord Nelson surrounded by flags, cannon and cannon balls ; the dates '1805' and '1905' either side of the circular portrait. This example is in exceptional condition.