Sunderland & London, 1st.ed., 1955. Xliv + 36 pp., many photographs. 25 x 18cm. V.G. Sunderland is situated at the mouth of the River Wear and is the chief seaport for the County of Durham. It comprises of a harbour and a North and South dock system and a Corporation Quay. In 1953 the port handled 635,312 tons of imports and exports of general goods, and 236,034 tons of oil. Sunderland also had ship-repair facilities and a history of shipbuilding going back to 1346. This official handbook describes the thriving port over 60 years ago with photographs of shipping, conventional cargo handling, and quayside scenes.