Superior Publishing Co., Seattle, Washington, 1st.ed., 1971. 128 pp., profusely illustrated with photographs. D.j., 27 x 22cm. V.G. The POLITKOFSKY was a Russian-built gunboat built c.1861 to protect the fur trade of the Bering Sea, sailing icy waters until her Russian flag was lowered for the last time during the transfer of the northern territory to the United States in 1876. The vessel was taken to San Francisco, refitted, and brought to Puget Sound for service as a work boat for Port Blakely Mill. In the early days of logging she hauled booms of logs, rafts and scows before coming to her final rest near an old Russian Fort on the beaches of Nome. Known locally as the ‘Polly’, this gunboat-turned-tug had a remarkable career described here, enhanced by the author’s important collection of photographs depicting life and trade in Arctic waters.