Privately Printed. Liverpool, 1st ed., 1936. 68 pp., 15 tipped-in plates (some cold.). White parchment bevelled boards ; gilt. 26 x 19cm. Bookplate. Boards a little rubbed and slightly marked, o/w V.G. The wealth and prosperity of Liverpool was built upon its docks and commerce, and in 1936 its Stock Exchange celebrated its centenary. The old Merchant’s Coffee House alongside Georges Dock was a regular meeting place for Liverpool merchants, and here in 1836 the Liverpool Sharebrokers’ Association was inaugurated, opening up their first offices in Exchange Street West in July that year. It was a period when the Port of Liverpool was expanding rapidly, with increased dock dues and new docks under construction. The port was a premier market for cotton, and trade with the Far East was opening up as the old trade monopolies in India and China, based in London, were abandoned. This book tells the story of the port’s heyday, with fifteen fine plates tipped-in, including two views of Liverpool’s 1813 Nelson monument on Exchange Flags.