Edinburgh, 1st.ed., 1987. Vi + 205 pp., map. D.j., 24 x 16cm. FINE. The building of warships on the banks of the Clyde has received far less attention than the history of ocean liner and other merchant ship construction. It is true that only a handful of Clyde yards undertook naval work in peacetime, and before and after the First World War even these yards became important builders of merchant tonnage producing upwards of 40% of Clyde’s total output. Based on a systematic analysis of the records from these yards, the author examines the impact of fluctuations in naval demand, their heyday before 1914, and the problems they faced during the inter-war years as warship-building declined. The author describes the foundations laid down by Robert Napier and his successors, and the detailed appendices list Admiralty orders from 1859 to 1941, in addition to a wealth of other information. WARSHIP BUILDING ON THE BANKS OF THE CLYDE, 1889 – 1939.