WINGED PROMISES: A HISTORY OF NO. 14 SQUADRON, RAF 1915-1945.

Orange, Dr. Vincent. Deramore, The Lord. Stapleton, Air Vice-Marshal D. C. & Donovan, Wing Commander E.


£30.00




RAF Fairford, 1st ed., 1996. (X) + 310 pp., photo-ills., maps (including cold., e.p. maps) & charts + 1 facsimile from log book tipped-in (extra?) in relevant place. D.j., 24 x 16cm. Small bumps to lower corners o/w FINE. Nicknamed the ‘Winged Crusaders’, this is a history of No. 14 Squadron RAF over two world wars and eight campaigns. Formed at Shoreham in 1915 and transferred to the Middle East (Egypt), this book begins with the services of No. 14 during the First World War as it carried out operations in support of General Allenby in Sinai, Palestine and Syria, and of Emir Feisal and T. E. Lawrence in Arabia, Jordan and Syria. It discusses Turkish opposition, the use and value of the RFC Air Arm, the demise of the Ottoman Empire and the Armistice. During the inter-war period No. 14 carried out operations in support of the Frontier States and moved from Palestine to Transjordan. The authors discuss aeronautical developments, route proving and air exercises at this time and the re-equipment of aircraft with the threat of World War II. During 1940-41 the Squadron was involved in convoy protection in the Red Sea and bombing Eritrea with Wellesleys and Blenheims, achieving victory over Italian naval destroyers. In May 1941 No. 14 transferred to the Western Desert to carry our operations in support of Brevity and Battle Axe against Crete. It then saw action in Palestine and next Iraq before returning to the Western Desert in support of Crusader Operations. After this period No. 14 re-equipped and trained on B-26A Marauders. Operations resumed with Sea Reconnaissance over the Mediterranean where it carried out mining and bombing operations and was involved in the Melos Raid. 1943-44 saw operations against German and Italian sea supplies and Axis evacuations from Sicily and North Africa. Later the Squadron served over Italy and Corsica with air-to-air combats resulting in the surrender of the Italian fleet. From the Invasion of Southern France, No. 14 transferred back to the UK and based at Chivenor. 1944-45 saw No. 14 re-equip and train on the Wellington XIV Leigh Light. It carried out antisubmarine operations over the Atlantic approaches and finished the war as the Top Navigation Squadron. With detailed appendices and illustrations, and a tipped-in facsimile from a log-book, this is a superb history of No. 14 RAF.


Share this book